Cover Your Kingdom
By royal decree, each of you are hereby proclaimed the Ruler of a Magical Kingdom of your very own!
Unfortunately, your Kingdoms are vacant and devoid of Magic, meaning they’re not actually magical at all…
Very conveniently, a multitude of magical Creatures are currently searching for a new Kingdom to call home!
Each Creature you persuade to join your Kingdom adds to your Kingdom’s Magic and it’s Ruler’s glory.
The Ruler with the most Magic once all the Creatures have found a home is crowned…
THE MOST NOBLE AND SUPREME MAJESTY OF MAGICAL MIGHT!
Key Terms for Rulers
Creature: Bizarre beings that instill Magic in your Kingdom
Clan: A collection of two or more compatible Creatures.
Magic: The element that you Rulers will contend to collect.
Kingdom: Each Ruler’s domain where Clans of Creatures live.
Land: A Kingdom’s two halves: The Highland & Lowland
Your task is to renew your Kingdom’s Magic by recruiting Creatures.
It’s a tricky task. Creatures are very particular sorts. For starters, they won’t join a Kingdom by themselves. To coax Creatures into joining your Kingdom, you must form Clans by pairing them up.
After you form a Clan, it will settle in your Kingdom. However, Clans won’t live just anywhere. Most will live only in one of your Kingdom’s two Lands; either the Highland, or the Lowland.
Each time you add a Clan to your Kingdom, you’ll stack it across the previous Clan (They don’t like to mingle with one another). The exposed Clan atop each Land in your Kingdom is vulnerable.
You see, just because you provided these Creatures a Clan and a home in your Kingdom, it doesn’t mean they’ll remain loyal. Clans can be recruited by other Rulers.
Rivals can send out Creatures to convince one of your Clans to join their Kingdom instead. You can counter with your own Creatures. The winning Ruler gets to keep the now larger and more magical Clan.
Once all the Creatures have been deployed by their Rulers, each Kingdom’s Magic is tallied, the Ruler with the most is crowned...THE MOST NOBLE AND SUPREME MAJESTY OF MAGICAL MIGHT!
8 Turn Guides/Kingdom Powers
60 Constellations (advanced rules only)
1 Spare card
- ALL of you grab a Kingdom and place it in front of you.
- Take a Turn Guide too; place it beside your Kingdom.
- One of you Rulers, grab the deck and give it a shuffle.
- Deal a hand of 6 Creatures to every Ruler, face-down.
- Place the remaining deck in the center of your table.
- Give the Crown to the nicest smelling amongst you.
- Pick up your hand, it’s time to meet the Creatures.
Meet the Creatures
Clanning Creatures: 10 kinds of creatures that form their own Clans. Clanning Creatures are divided into 3 groups, Highland, Lowland, or Anyland, determined by the Land(s) that they’ll inhabit.
Wild Creatures: Creatures that CAN’T form Clans of their own but can join any clanning Creature’s Clan.
Free Creatures: Creatures that DON’T join Clans. Instead, they perform an action to serve their current Ruler.
Taking Your Turn
Starting with the Ruler holding the Crown, you’ll each take turns in clockwise order. On your turn, you’ll take actions following each of these guidelines:
- You MUST always take at least ONE action each turn.
- You MAY also take a second action, if you choose to.
- You MAY take 2 different actions, or repeat one twice.
- There are FIVE different actions to choose from:
- FORM a Clan
- ATTEMPT to RECRUIT a Clan
- ADD a Creature to a Clan
- EMPLOY a Free Creature
- DISCARD then DRAW
1. Form a Clan
Clans are formed by pairing compatible creatures
- You can form a Clan by pairing two matching Clanning Creatures -OR-
- By pairing any Clanning Creature with a Wild Creature.
The Creatures can come from 2 places
- You can form a Clan using 2 Creatures from your hand, -OR-
- One from your hand, and one from the top of the discard pile.
Clans are added to a land in your Kingdom
- First, stack the two Creatures together to finish forming the Clan.
- Then place the Clan in your Kingdom in the Land the Creatures prefer.
- Some prefer the Highland, some prefer the Lowland.
- Anyland Creatures may be placed in either Land.
Other things you can’t do
- Two Wild Creatures can’t be paired with each other to form a Clan.
- You can’t form a Clan using more than two Creatures.
- You can’t form a Clan using two Creatures from the discard pile.
- You can’t take actions B, C, or D until after you’ve formed your first Clan.
*Note: There may not always be a discard pile. Do not flip over a Creature to start the discard pile at the beginning of the contest or when the draw pile is completed.
2. Recruit a Clan
Laws you must obey when recruiting Clans
- You can’t recruit Clans until you’ve formed at least 1 of your own.
- You can’t recruit a Clan if it’s the ONLY one in its Ruler’s Kingdom.
- You can only target top Clans, you can’t target covered Clans.
- You can recruit two Clans from one Kingdom on the same turn.
- You can’t attempt to recruit the same Clan twice in one turn.
- With 6-8 Rulers, you may only recruit Clans up to 2 Kingdoms away.
How to recruit and defend
- Indicate which Clan you are attempting to recruit to the Clan’s Ruler.
- Reveal a Creature that matches the Clan, or that is Wild, to that Ruler.
- They can defend the Clan by showing their own matching or Wild Creature.
- This continues until one Ruler cannot or chooses not to respond
- The winner takes/keeps the Clan adding ALL revealed Creatures to it.
A word about Wild Creatures
- CerbeRussell Terriers (CTs) can recruit or defend any kind of Clan.
- Spydras can as well, but are twice as convincing as CTs.
- To counter a Spydra, you must reveal 2 Creatures or 1 Spydra
- They can be any combination of 2 matching Creatures or CTs
3. Add a Creature to a Clan
This action is typically the least utilized, however, it can come in handy on occasion.
- You can add 1 matching Clanning Creature to one of your top Clans.
- You can’t add more than 1 Creature at a time to a Clan.
- You can’t add Wild Creatures to a Clan using this action.
- You may, after adding an Anyland Creature to a Clan, switch it’s Land.
4. Employ a Free Creature
The Free Creatures are an intriguing band of misfits. They are not interested in joining a Clan. Insead they serve their Ruler by performing an action under their direction.
WIIZZZAARD: Move any Clan (in your Kingdom, or a rival Ruler’s) from top to bottom, or bottom to top, of its respective stack.
HYPNOGRIFF: Without looking, take any 3 Creatures from the hand of another Ruler, add them to your hand, then return 3 of your choice.
MOBGOBLINS: Trade either of you top Clans for any Clan currently on the top of a stack in a rival Ruler’s Kingdom. This can’t be blocked!
MINNOWTAUR: Place in front of a rival to imprison them for one turn. On their next turn, the only action they take is to discard the Minnowtaur.
- Diverting: Minnowtaurs fear Spydras. A targeted Ruler may divert the Minnowtaur to detain any other Ruler (even its own) instead by discarding a Spydra from their hand into the Free Creature discard pile.
GRUMBLEDALF’S ELVES: Convince a top Clan in another Ruler’s Kingdom to join the Elves’ quest. They are discarded beneath Grumbledalf’s Elves.
- Countering: You may protect a Clan by sacrificing any combination of two Creatures that match the targeted Clan. That could be two matching Clanning Creatures, two CTs one of each, or one Spydra.
5. Discard then Draw
- If you can’t take at least 1 other action, you must take this one.
- You must discard a Creature before you draw its replacement.
- You can’t discard Wild or Free Creatures.
- You can’t draw Creatures from either of the 2 discard piles.
Ending Your Turn
After you’ve taken either 1 or 2 actions, end your turn by doing the following:
- First, draw enough Creatures from the deck to return your hand to 6.
- Then, in clockwise order, other Rulers replenish their hands, if needed.
- Finally, pass the Crown to the Ruler on your left, it’s now their turn.
Determining the Victor
As the contest goes on, the deck will eventually run out. After that, you’ll continue taking turns without drawing afterwards, until every last Creature in each Ruler’s hand has been played. If you run out of Creatures before other Rulers, your Clans are still vulnerable!
After the last Creature is placed, the Magic value of all the Creatures in each Kingdom is tallied and the Ruler whose Kingdom has the most Magic is crowned...THE MOST NOBLE AND SUPREME MAJESTY OF MAGICAL MIGHT!
Game: Jeff Beck
Development and Production Management: Jeff Beck
Copywriting: Jeff Beck
Illustrations: Apryl Stott
Graphic Design: David Bock and Cathy Bock